Bumthang Owl Trek - 07 Days
Bumthang is well known as one of the main cultural centres of Bhutan and there are many opportunities to visit temples and small Bhutanese villages along the trek route. The Bumthang Owl Trek offers an invigorating experience of the culture and environment. It is a moderate 3-day hiking route which starts from Menchugang and ends in Jakar Dzong. Bumthang Owl trail has an abundance of flora and fauna, and the panoramic views of the valleys. Bumthang Owl trek could be a substitute for the Bumthang Cultural Trek that has been deteriorated to a great degree by the farm road constructions. It was really breath taking to hike through the pine forest and over the mountains. It's also one of the best ways to get to know the villagers.
Natural scenery is magnificent and views of Gangkar Puensum (the highest unclimbed peak in the world) are possible from this Bumthang Owl trek. In autumn trekkers should be careful about the Himalayan Black bears. In April-May, enjoy the sightings of beautiful pheasants such as the Himalayan Tragopan. The trek ends through Tharpaling monastry which gives you a chance to delve into monastic livelihood. The ending trail joins the Royal Route at Kikila pass. Highlights of this trek are: village at Dhur, healthy forests of blue pine, hemlock, fir, spruce, juniper, bamboo spices, rhododendrons, birch, maple, chestnut. The trail offers high mountain views and great number of bird and other wildlife. The trek is recommended from March to May and then again from September to November. The downpour in Bumthang last month may have dismayed tour operators but the new trek route is putting smiles on their lips as it has become an additional tourist package they can offer to clients.
- Download & Print
- Previous Groups & Photos
Everest Base Camp and Kalapather Trek -Autumn 2009
We have very much impressed with Mr. Bhandari when we met him in Kathmandu Airport with his personnel and Wel-come us in Nepal with his open heart. We had three wonderful weeks in Nepal with ceramal guide and possessor of Snowy Horizon Treks & Expedition Mr. Rishi Bhandari. We were the first Clients of this company but we never be aware of that Snowy Horizon is newly established Company. We feel proud to describe the experiences owned by ourselves with Mr. Bhandari and his company. We have been trekking Everest base camp area with Mr. Bhandari, which had . .....Read More
Bumthang Owl Trekking Itinerary
Day 01: Flight from Kathmandu to Paro Transfer to thimphu Hotel.
Fly from Kathmandu to Paro by Buddha or Druk Air and Transfer to Thimpu. During the Flight Duration you will have great opertunatly to see left hand side of the plane breath taking views of Mount Everest, Kanchenjunga and other famous Himalayan peaks, including the sacred Mount Jhomolhari and Jichu Drake in Bhutan. When you arrive in Paro our representative will be pick up you from paro airport after immigration formalities and baggage arrival. Our representative transfers you to Thimphu, the modenn capital town of Bhutan which is 55Km far from Paro. Overnight at the hotel in Thimphu.
Day 02: Drive from Thimpu to Bumthang and Sightseeing at Bumthang
This morning after breakfast you will transfer to Bumthang, valley lies at an altitude of 2600 meters which is 85km form Trongsa and it takes 04 hours driving by private vehicles.Trongsa Dzong, the largest dzong at a striking location, is an important administrative building, providing the headquarters of the government of Trongsa District. This valley is the religious heartland of Bhutan and home to some of the oldest Buddhist temples. This afternoon you will visit Jambey Lhakhang, a monastery built in 7th century, proceed to Kurjey Lhakhang also visit Jakar Dzong built in the year 1549. Overnight at hotel in Bumthang.
Day 03: Drive to Jakar and trek to Nagang lhakhang
The trek starts from Manchugang and reach Dhur village at an elevation of 2900 meters. The inhabitants of the village are the Kheps and Brokpas (nomads). This village has two different dialects, the usual Bumthang Kha and the Brokke (nomadic dialects). Near the river is a traditional water-driven flour mill which used to be a source of livelihood for the people of Dhur village. Resuming the trek is the uphill climb through the blue pine forest towards the campsite at Schonath (3450m) in hemlock and juniper forest. The hauling of owls through the night is quite common, hence the name The Owl Trek. This takes about six hours trekking.
Day 04: Trek from Ngang Lhakhang – to Ugyenchholing
Day two is trekking through fresh forest of hemlock, fir, spruce and many species of rhododendron which are in full bloom during the months of April and May. The trekking also takes you through the forest of bamboo which is the main undergrowth in this forest.After few hours of walking you will arrive at the Drangela Pass (3600m). Climbing up the Kitiphu ridge brings you to an altitude of about 3870m which is the night campsite. From this point you can have a fresh view of snow capped mountains and valleys underneath. This is also when you can view the mount Gangkarpunsum (7541m), the highest unclimbed peak in the world. These takers about five hours trekking.
Day 05: Trek from Ugyenchholing to Bumthang
On day three you descend towards the monasteries of Zambhalha, Chuedak and Tharpaling. Chuedak monastery has 100 Avoloketeshvaras in the form of Chukchizhey (eleven heads) where you may pray for yourself and all living beings. You might even stop for many holy water around this place to quench your thirst, wash your sins and purify your body and soul. Towards the afternoon the trek will take you along the ridge of Kikila and following the traditional trek route between Trongsa and Bumthang (the Royal Heritage Trail) through scenic hills and forests. Finally you will have the best view of Jakar Dzong and come to end of the trek at Bumthang.
Day 06: Drive from Bumthang to Punakha and Sightseeing at Punakha
After breakfast drive from Bumthang to Punakha valley which takes three hours drive and around 76km distance. A wide range of the east Himalayan ranges are visible from the pass on a clear day. Also on the pass, you will see the 108 Druk Wangyel Stupa built by one of the queen mothers of Bhutan. Blessed with a temperate climate and fed by the Pho Chu (male) and Mo Chu (female) rivers, Punakha is the most fertile valley in the country.Afternoon drive from Punakha to Paro city. Overnight at hotel in Paro.
Day 07: Final Departure or alternatively join other program
After early breakfast at the hotel, drive to the airport for flight to your onward destination. Our representative will help you with exit formalities in Paro airports.
- the above itinerary is a guideline and standard suggested pattern chosen by majority of our customers. Your final itinerary will be customised according to your available time and requirements.
- the final itinerary duration and schedule may be reduced or extend depending on your time, budget, your fitness, class of service or any other preferences. The quote will be provided for you initial requirements and can be adjusted with mutual agreement should you require modifying these requirements.
- Indian and Bangladesh Nationality are not required for Bhutan visa. So we did not charge visa cost for those Nation client.
- Other Nation should required to pay $30.00 per person for visa cost.
- For further information please read: How to book Trip in Bhutan?
Cost for the Trip:
The price for your selected Tour/trekking will vary depending on group size, trip category (bed and breakfast/ full board), your budget, individualised itinerary, accommodation (budget to 5 star), the number of guides and porters, kitchen crew, mode of transport you prefer and many other factors. The price range for the same trip can vary widely so if you would like to discuss your requirements with us we will provide you a very competitive price
Please e-mail us for up-to-date prices for Trip
- 06/07 days full board package in Tourist standard Hotel in Bhutan
- Arrival Pick up and Departure drop from Paro Airport.
- All land transportation by luxury vehicle, depending upon group size
- 3 meals a day (Breakfasts, Lunch and Dinners with tea or coffee) during the tour and Trekking.
- Accommodation of Lodges, Hotel during the tour and Camping Accommodation during the trekking.
- All kind of Permit, National Park entry fee, and movement charge
- Private Vehicle Surface transportation will be available as per itinerary
- Guide and Private vehicles will be available for paro and Thimpu Sightseeing as per above Itinerary
- Group medical supplies (First Aid kit )
- Escorted English speaking tour guide during the tour period as per Itinerary.
- Trekking equipment like sleeping tents, dining tents, kitchen tents, toilet tents, mattresses, etc.
- Services of experienced licensed trekking guides
- Trekking cooks and trek assistants.
- Supply of packs and riding ponies.
- Entrance Fees to museum and monuments.
- Bottle of mineral water during long road drive.
- Evening tea with snacks
- All hotel taxes/ service charges
- Farewell Dinner in before departure.
- Our service charges
- All necessary paper works, office Service charge and Government Taxes
- complete pre-departure information, flight ticket reconfirmation and extend visa service(if necessary)
- Snowy Horizon Special Gifts (T-shirt, Pashmina )
- International and domestic Flight Ticket
- Alcoholic beverages, Bhutan visa fee & Personal nature expenses
- Emergency rescue evacuation if required.
- Personal accident insurance or Helicopter rescue.
- Nepal entry visa fee, Visa issuance is easy at the arrival
- Mineral water, laundry, phone calls, internets.
- Single supplement charges $40/night
- Bhutan visa fees US $ 30 Per person ( to be paid with tour payment)
- Tips, gifts, souvenirs.
Please read this Rule and regulation that How to Book Bumthang Owl Trek?